Investigation under way into horrific farm machinery incident

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has confirmed it is investigating the circumstances which led to a 30-year-old man getting his leg stuck in a threshing machine at a Devon farm last week. On Friday, March 24 DevonLive…

Coldmac Ltd has been fined after one of its workers suffered life changing injuries to his hand while cleaning an asphalt mixer

His hand was so badly injured that his middle and index fingers had to be surgically removed Nuneaton magistrates heard how Coldmac had been appointed specialist contractor for a new footway. On 8th April 2015 the worker was using a screwdriver…

Worker loses fingers in site mixer horror

Worker loses fingers in site mixer horror A road surfacing specialist been fined after one of its workers lost two fingers while building a new footway. Nuneaton Magistrates Court heard how Coldmac Limited had been appointed…

Trust guilty of health and safety failing following woman's death

SCENE: Red Lodge in New Earswick A HOUSING trust has been found guilty of a health and safety failing following the death of a 90-year-old resident six years ago. York Crown Court found that the Joseph Rowntree Housing Trust…

New figures reveal farm deaths and injuries in Devon over the last 10 years

New figures reveal 32 farm deaths in Devon in the last 10 years, most involving agricultural workers. Since 2006 there have also been 261 injuries reported on farmland in the county. DevonLive has obtained the figures…

The Strategic Forum Plant Safety Group has produced a safety alert protocol for mobile elevating work platforms (MEWPs)

The protocol provides a standardised format for contractors and other users to issue safety alerts in the event of incidents they believe may be related to the design, manufacture, maintenance or use of MEWPs. Chris Wraith, technical and…

Oil workers facing lifetime of cancer tests after rig radiation exposure

Oil workers who were exposed to radiation on board a North Sea oil rig are facing cancer tests for the rest of their lives The men, who may have ingested contaminated particles while removing redundant pipework on EnQuest’s Thistle…

Merthyr rugby players 'burnt by Pontypridd 3G pitch'

Image copyright: LEE JARVIS A Welsh rugby coach has posted photographs on social media of burns his players received playing on an artificial pitch. Merthyr RFC coach Lee Jarvis said seven players suffered the friction burns to their…

Costa Coffee deny health and safety breaches after employee is hurt cleaning refrigerator in Stanway store

COFFEE giants have denied two allegations of failing to give employees health, safety and welfare duty. Representatives from Costa Coffee appeared at Colchester Magistrates' Court on Tuesday after an incident where an employee was…

Police investigate human waste found in Coca-Cola cans at factory in Ireland

Coca-Cola impounded the contaminated cans. None of them made it into circulation, a spokesperson said. (GEORGE FREY/GETTY IMAGES) Police are looking into how human waste ended up in a batch of Coca-Cola drink cans at one of the company’s…